Metropolitan Youth Orchestra
The Metropolitan Youth Orchestra (MYO) is a youth and family development program of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. The program is designed to use the life skills learned through music instruction to engage youth in activities that discourage at-risk behaviors and keep them committed to staying in school.
The MYO Experience
The MYO program is all about developing life skills through the rehearsal and performance of music, so our focus is on a creating an experience that accomplishes this for each student and setting expectations that are designed to reach these goals. We do this through 6 major ways:
- Ensemble: Every MYO student participates in a weekly large ensemble experience (and parents/grandparents are invited to as well!) with other MYO students.
- Lesson: Each MYO student participates in a weekly private or small group lesson. Beginners generally receive a small group lesson (2 – 5 students).
- Performance: All MYO students enjoy the opportunity to perform with their large ensembles at Hilbert Circle Theatre and other community venues. Students also perform in a solo recital each year.
- Parent Engagement: Parents have opportunities to rehearse and perform with the students through all orchestra levels. They are also expected to participate with our youngest students, both in lessons and orchestra, if possible. We also have opportunities for parents to socialize, build skills, and seek information about a variety of topics in our Just for Parents monthly workshop series.
- Community support: MYO cannot be all things to all people, but we can rally support for the needs that we can’t meet on our own – the challenges that our families face week to week can be overwhelming. Through various community partnerships, we are proud to offering programming with Second Helpings, Art of the Soul, the Domestic Violence Network, and Financial Center – with more to come!
- College Readiness: Students in Orchestras A and B receive extra support for high school completion and college preparation through the ISO’s young professional group, FORTE.
Learn more about each of our six orchestras here.
Chamber Orchestra Performance Requests
If your company or organization would like to feature young musicians performing an array of popular and classical tunes in their next event, please complete the request form. Requests should be a minimum of 3 months in advance and, out of respect for our young people and their time, not all requests will be approved.
Attendance Hotline to report Orchestra Absences: 317-721-4439
Support the children and strengthen the families who participate in the Metropolitan Youth Orchestra by making a donation below:
Make a Gift
We can't do what we love — making music — without you.
Rent the Hilbert Circle Theatre
Host your event at the Hilbert Circle Theatre, one of Indy's most beloved historical sites on Monument Circle.