Hilbert Circle Theatre
HistoryIn 1916, several local businessmen set out to finance the construction of a theater on Monument Circle, on a site occupied by a livery stable for much of the 19th century. Designed by Indianapolis architects Rubus & Hunter, the theater was built in a Neo-Classical Revival style – marked by symmetry, bright colors and simplicity and inspired by the arts of ancient Greece and Rome – and its interior was designed in the style of 18th-century architect Robert Adam, who employed motifs from Greek, Etruscan and Pompeian artists.
The pastoral-themed mural over the marquee, which still remains, was created by Irvington Group artist Clifton Wheeler.
For much of the 20th century, the theater served as a majestic venue for film and live acts. In 1928, the first movie with sound ever shown in Indianapolis, The Jazz Singer, was shown at the theater. In the 1940s, big band jazz groups, including the Glenn Miller Orchestra, played on the theatre’s stage.
By the 1970s, however, the Circle Theater had fallen into disrepair. Although its heyday as a movie theatre had ended, in 1982, the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra decided to move back downtown and call the theatre its home.
After an extensive renovation, the reopened on October 12, 1984, as the home of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra. In 1996, Stephen and Tomisue Hilbert endowed the theater, which was renamed the Hilbert Circle Theatre.
Today, the intimate size of the Hilbert Circle Theatre – the hall contains 1,781 seats – and stage area customized specially for the Orchestra create a superb venue for live performances. The hall, lobbies and Wood Room facility are available during non-performance dates for meetings, seminars, receptions, concerts or public/private functions. Tours are also available.
Visit the Hilbert Circle Theatre website for more information about rentals and tours.
Sign up for SymphonEmail and stay in the know about everything ISO.
Click here for more information.